Thursday 25 June 2015

Hot & Wet



Mega drive today from Miami to Savannah, Georgia - yes ma'am -in short at least 9 hours in the saddle. We left Miami in 90 degrees and blue skies. But about an hour out, the sky became sooper dooper intense. We could see lightning in the distance and then the heavens just opened. It literally lashed us for about 6 hours straight. Nigel cool as a cucumber and driving. Me - the passenger - a cat on a hot tin roof - claws gripping either side of my seat convulsively, convinced that any minute, one of the ten ton truck drivers would be sharing my seat. I don't think I drew a full breath for about 2 hours, panting shallow and low to preserve energy for all the fruitless fretting. People were driving like maniacs as well (including Nigel) it was like they were in perfect conditions - so no need to slow down at all. I witnessed one man on his phone, drinking coffee and head banging to ACDC whilst he drove with his knees across 2 lanes and then as we passed another car weaving between lanes, I glanced in and saw a woman with a newspaper spread out across the steering wheel. Finally we all had to slow down for a mega accident and as we drove past a jack knifed truck now on it's roof I was convinced I could still hear the strains of Highway to Hell.



No comments:

Post a Comment